Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Holidays

I want to put down my thoughts about our recent holidays.  I want to remember the fantastic times that we had.
Because our family is large, we had to make our holidays extend over several days.  Three of our children and their families came on the Saturday before Christmas.  We had grab bags, played musical chairs for Yankee Candles, and enjoyed a lot of good food.  There was enough snow on the ground for the children and some of the adults to enjoy.
We were able to celebrate Christmas with two of our children at different times of the day.  Our one son and his family went with us to my mom's home early Christmas morning and we had brunch with her and opened some presents.  Our other son and his wife came and celebrated toward evening and we had a meal together and played some games while watching TV.
The Sunday after Christmas was celebrated with two of our children and their families.  We went to church with my mother-in-law and then came back to our home to open presents and eat lunch.  They ended up staying for supper also and we were joined by another son and his family. Our one son brought his four wheeler down and pulled everyone around behind it on sleds.  Also during the afternoon and evening, our two sons and the children built a snow fort. They decorated it with some left over Christmas lights and our lighted star that didn't make it up this year.
New Year's Eve was celebrated by going bowling with our sons and their families.  Afterward we came back to the Party Barn for a late supper and some card games until midnight when we toasted in the New Year.  On this evening, the majority of the family joined in on making a snow sculpture of an arch in front of the door to the party barn decorated with more unused Christmas lights.  It was spectacular.
New Year's Day we celebrated Christmas with our last son and his family after breakfast.  I so enjoy watching the children open presents.  We had lunch together and were joined by another son and his family, who stayed for supper also.  We watched bowl games together and played a board game.
I like having the holidays drawn out over several days as this makes me enjoy more days and not just one or two.  I would like to thank my family for the wonderful holiday and for including my mom and mother-in-law in the festivities.  I don't expect next year to better but my wish is that it will be just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment