Friday, June 18, 2010

Old Wives' Tales

It has always made me wonder if when someone says the phrase "Old Wives' Tale" are they talking that the wife is old and if so, what age makes her old? Or is it the tale that is old, and in that case was it once a young tale?
Either way, have you ever just said, "Oh, that is just an old wives' tale.", and then gone a head and try out whatever it is that the tale was suppose to be? Well, I have and let me tell you that a lot of them work.
For instance, putting salt on your hands and rubbing them together like soap after you have peeled or cut up an onion. This takes away the smell (taught to me by my grandmother - yep, she was old!) Or there is always running a needle through your hair to help it go through the material easier (my mother - she is just older than me.) And the oldie but goldie, cut the bottom out of a pumpkin instead of the top when making your Jack-o-lanterns. Then all you have to do is sit the pumpkin on top of your candle and the lid never falls in on it. (Brought to you by Martha Stewart and she is old!)
But my best one is if you burn any of your fingers, squeeze them instantly on your earlobe with your thumb and the burn will transfer to your lobe and you won't get a blister. Do not wet your finger first, just stick it on your ear and squeeze. Hold it there for a few seconds. (And yes, it does work, but no old wife here - just my dad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment