Monday, July 26, 2010

Cry

I have been known to cry at a drop of a hat. Show me a Little House on the Prairie episode and I can tell you what it is about and what is going to happen, but you can also count on the fact that I will cry at some time before the end of the show. That is what I do.
My family have come to expect me crying at every little thing such as; a grandchild singing a song in a school performance with the rest of his class, a gift that has been given to me with much thought and love, or even a rainbow in the sky. They carry extra tissues with them for these kind of occasions.
I have a close friend that swears my tear ducts are connected to my bladder.
The one time that I almost died laughing from crying happened in church. You know those times when you start laughing and can not stop but you are in a situation that you shouldn't be laughing and everything just keeps making you want to laugh more? Remember the Mary Tyler Moore episode where she laughed at the clown's funeral? Kind of like that!
Well, as I said, we were in church and a song was being sung that reminded me of my childhood and my dad. I started to cry, just some tears running down my cheeks, and my oldest daughter, who was about seven at the time, put her arm through mine and her head on my shoulder. It was a very sweet and tender moment. After a few seconds she whispered in my ear, "Mom, are you crying because that lady is singing so awful?" There across the aisle from me was one of the so-called self appointed patriarchs of the church singing very loudly and a little off key. I started laughing and every note that she sang made it a little worse. I was still crying and people started to think I was becoming hysterical with my grief. I had to get up and leave the church. I went to the car and laughed so hard that my sides hurt. It still brings a chuckle to me even now after all these years. I will never hear that song again and not smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment