Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Locust

We heard our first locust on the 5th of July. There is an old wives' tale that says that this means 6 weeks until the first frost. My children who have become school teachers claim that it means 6 weeks until school starts. They are pretty close with that one.
To me it means that fall is right around the corner. It seems like we have just got our summer started and already the bugs are telling us that it is coming to an end. Don't get me wrong, I like all of the seasons and am glad that I live in a part of the United States where I can experience the different changes to the plants and vegetations not to mention the temperatures. I just wish that the locust didn't have to sing the fact every night that we are coming into cooler weather. But if we look on the side of the locust, they only have a short time to let their voices be heard so they have to let loose when they can.
So my advice to everyone is to enjoy this hot weather as much as you can. Sit out on your deck a little longer each night, enjoy an extra meal on your patio, or make sure you get in enough of the summer activities to fill those memory spots in the dead of winter. We will have enough time to sit inside and watch the nasty weather in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment