Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Racing Heart

Sorry for the break in the blogging, but I went on a camping outing and there wasn't any internet service. I guess they still think that when you go camping, you should rough it and not have some of the nicer things in life.
While we were camping, I had a few heart racing moments. The first one was my one year old grandson crawled way too close to the fire ring. Luckly my one daughter-in-law was Johnny on the Spot and got to him before he could reach the hot iron.
Another heart stopper was when we went out on a pontoon boat and I decided that it would be a good thing to jump off the side of it to go swimming. Little did I realize how deep the lake was. I usually only swim in our pond that is only thirteen feet. When this not too small body of mine plunged into the mighty depths of the lake, I went down way too far. At one point on the trip back up I was wondering if I had flipped and was really heading down further. All I could see was dark, murky water and no sunlight anywhere. I realize that it was only a few seconds that I was under, but it seemed like a lifetime. I know my heart started beating again when I broke through that glorious surface.
My last brush with a racing heart came at 2:30 Sunday morning. My husband had woken up to take a bathroom break and in the process woke me up also. I don't do well sleeping on a strange bed in the first place and waking up suddenly doesn't help. I decided to use the facilities myself. Believing that no one else would be up at that time and the restroom was only fifty yards form the camper, I didn't bother to put on my house coat. I was just a few feet from the campsite and I saw headlights coming up behind me. Now I am sure that without the protection of a housecoat, I was going to be quite a sight in my nylon nightgown with those lights shinning on me, so I quickened my footsteps. I turned towards the restroom and the car came to a screeching halt behind me. The car door opened and I heard footsteps running up the pathway. I bolted for the bathroom door, flinging it open, and sprinted to the open stall. As I reached it, I heard the door open behind me. I grabbed the stall door and pulled it shut. Through the opening as I was rushing to close it, I saw a women in desperate need of a bathroom. As I sat down, I noticed that my legs were shaking, my breath was labored, and my heart was racing. I was glad that I didn't need to use the restroom that bad or I am sure there would have been a puddle on the floor also. I chuckled all the way back to the campsite. It is good to know that this old heart can still take a little excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment