Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hands

I think one of the most beautiful body parts of a human is their hands. They can tell so much.
My mother's hands are starting to cripple up, but they are still a thing of beauty. When I look at her hands, I see all the times when I was little and had a bad dream. Those hands would stroke my hair and wipe my tears until I felt safe again. I see hands that have encircled me and given me some of the best hugs of my life. I see love.
When I look at my husband's hands, I see hands that work hard for a living. Not just at his job, but around the house. I see hands that are always helping the neighbors, especially the older ones, but also the ones with bigger families who are going through some very rough times and can use an extra hand or two. I also see him being gentle with the grandchildren and helping them learn how to fish, or build, or even just play patty cake and peek-a-boo. I see love.
When I see a child's hands, I see the future. I see the innocence and trusting of an individual with the world at its feet. I love to have a child put his hand in mine or cup my face in a very sweet sign of affection. I see love.
When I see my hands, I see hands willing to help anyone, anywhere. I see hands reaching out to protect the ones I love. And I see hands folding together to thank God for all the blessings He has given to me and to ask Him to make this world a safe and wonderful place to be. I feel love.

No comments:

Post a Comment